Chapel, Salle des Povres, Hospices de Beaune
Chapel, with altar and wall paintings with the motto of Nicolas Rolin, Seulle and a star, in the Salle des Povres or Room of the Poor, almost 50m long, with a painted wooden ceiling with dragons heads and caricatures of local people, in Les Hospices de Beaune, or Hotel-Dieu de Beaune, a charitable almshouse and hospital for the poor, built 1443-57 by Flemish architect Jacques Wiscrer, and founded by Nicolas Rolin, chancellor of Burgundy, and his wife Guigone de Salins, in Beaune, Cote d'Or, Burgundy, France. The hospital was run by the nuns of the order of Les Soeurs Hospitalieres de Beaune, and remained a hospital until the 1970s. The building now houses the Musee de l'Histoire de la Medecine, or Museum of the History of Medicine, and is listed as a historic monument. Picture by Manuel Cohen
Pick your License
Restrictions Only for Ireland and United Kingdom and United States Of America
Almshouse Beaune Bourgogne Bourgogne-franche-comte Burgundian Cote Guigone Hospice Hospices Hospitalieres Hotel-dieu Lhistoire Medecine Motto Povres Railings Rolin Salins Salle Seulle Soeurs Stalls
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > COH





























