Church of San Cataldo, Palermo, Sicily, Italy
Church of San Cataldo, built 1154 in Arab-Norman Romanesque style, and behind, the Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio, or Church of St Mary of the Admiral, known as Martorana, an Italo-Albanian co-cathedral catholic church built from 1143, on Piazza Bellini, in Palermo, Sicily, Italy. The city was founded by the Phoenicians in 734 BC as Sis, and it was subsequently settled by the Carthaginians, Romans, Arabs and Normans. It was the capital of the Kingdom of Sicily 1130-1816. The churches form part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Picture by Manuel Cohen
Picture No
13973023
Media ID
45437057
Size
8268px x 6025px
(17.4MB)
Credit
Manuel Cohen / Mary Evans Picture Library
Source
Photograph by Manuel Cohen
Date
2009





























