Entrance pavilions, Park Guell, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Two entrance pavilions, built 1900-03, used as a porter's lodge (right) and residence (left) or Casa del Guarda, with stone walls and trencadis mosaic roof in organic undulating form, at Park Guell, built 1900-14 by Antoni Gaudi, 1852-1926, Catalan Modernist architect, on Carmel Hill, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. The lodge is topped by a large mosaic spire with cross. The park was commissioned by Eusebi Guell and opened in 1926. The area was designed to hold public gardens, houses, paths and roads, irrigation systems and a terrace. Gaudi used organic forms in the structures of the park, incorporating symbols from Catalan nationalism, religious mysticism and ancient poetry and mythology. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Picture by Manuel Cohen





























