Trunk, Hospices de Beaune, Beaune, Burgundy, France
Oak trunk used to store clothing, late 15th century, with coat of arms of Guigone de Salins (tower and key), originally 1 of 4 identical trunks, in Les Hospices de Beaune, or Hotel-Dieu de Beaune, a charitable almshouse and hospital for the poor, built 1443-57 by Flemish architect Jacques Wiscrer, and founded by Nicolas Rolin, chancellor of Burgundy, and his wife Guigone de Salins, in Beaune, Cote d'Or, Burgundy, France. The hospital was run by the nuns of the order of Les Soeurs Hospitalieres de Beaune, and remained a hospital until the 1970s. The building now houses the Musee de l'Histoire de la Medecine, or Museum of the History of Medicine, and is listed as a historic monument. Picture by Manuel Cohen
Pick your License
Restrictions Only for Ireland and United Kingdom and United States Of America
Almshouse Armorial Beaune Bourgogne Bourgogne-franche-comte Burgundian Cote Guigone Heraldic Hospice Hospices Hospitalieres Hotel-dieu Keyhole Lhistoire Medecine Rolin Salins Soeurs Titre
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > COH





























