An exterior view of Brancepeth Castle, showing
An exterior view of Brancepeth Castle, showing the south range. The castle was first recorded in 1216, and was rebuilt for Ralph Neville c1398. John Patterson carried out major rebuilding between c1818 and 1821 for Matthew Russell, and further internal work was carried out in the late 19th century. The castle consists of a curtain wall with splayed towers which enclose an irregular circular courtyard, with a range of buildings in the south-west. The south range includes Constable Tower in the south-east, and Neville and Bulmer Towers in the south-west corner. The linking ranges are three and four storeys, and the splayed corner turrets on the towers are octagonal with embattled parapets. Constable Tower has a taller octagonal turret on the east corner





























