A general view of the Market Place, showing the
A general view of the Market Place, showing the Shambles, a covered market erected in 1766, with vendors and shoppers in the foreground, and the east elevation of St Andrew's Priory Church in the backgroundThe Shambles were installed by Sir Walter Blackett in 1766, and consists of nine bays on the long side, and three bays on the short, separated by columns. On the outer sides, the columns are circular and of stone, whilst on the inner, or south, side, the columns are wood. In the background is the east window of the priory church, originally founded c673 by St Wilfrid, with the chancel dating to around 1858
Picture No
12424009
Media ID
45366783
Size
3045px x 2027px
(1.5MB)
Credit
© Historic England / Mary Evans Picture Library
Source
Ursula Clark - Historic England Archive
Date
circa 1967





























