An interior view of City Markets, seen from a
An interior view of City Markets, seen from a balcony on a short side of the hall, showing an internal gateway to another section of the market with a wooden booth with glass panels and a partial view of stalls beneath. The market hall was built in 1904, by architects Leeming and Leeming and engineers J. Bagshaw and Sons of Batley, and restored in the late 20th century. The internal structure consists of a steel framework inside with walls, which have a facade of glazed bricks, and cast iron corinthian pillars and decorative beams. Supporting the mezzanine over the shops are cast iron dragons as brackets. The market consists of a long hall with clerestory and central octagon in the roof. the image shows one corner of the hall, which has a large carved gateway in the centre, and two smaller entrances either side, which allow movement between the balcony above the hall to a set of spiral stairs leading to the ground floor and market space. To the right of the gateway is a wooden booth with glass panels, acting as an office space





























