Paternoster Square, City of London
Paternoster Square, City of London - A night-time view looking south-east across the Paternoster development, showing the site during construction with St Paul's Cathedral in the background_x000D_
_x000D_
Work on the Paternoster development was carried out in a joint venture by John Laing Construction Limited, Trollope and Colls Limited, and George Wimpey and Company Limited. The scheme involved the redevelopment of a seven acre site on the north side of St Paul's Cathedral. The site had been almost entirely devastated during an incendiary raid in December 1940. The development consisted of a series of office blocks, a shopping precinct, an extensive piazza and a three-level car park. The various blocks were named after former Bishops of London. The tallest block was 18-storeys in height and was called Sudbury House. The three 10-storey blocks were Courtenay, Walden and Grendall Houses, and the five-storey blocks were Laud, Sheldon and Bancroft Houses
Pick your License
10-storey 18-storeys Acre Background X000d Bancroft Bishops Blocks Builder Colls Consisted Courtenay Cranes Devastated Entirely Extensive Five-storey Grendall Incendiary Involved Joint Laing Laud Night-time Paternoster Paul S Piazza Post-war Precinct Redevelopment Scaffolding Scheme Sheldon South-east Sudbury Tallest Three-level Trollope Venture Walden Wimpey X000d
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > EHR





























