Paternoster Square, City of London
Paternoster Square, City of London - Four workmen employed on the construction of the Paternoster development_x000D_
_x000D_
Photographs of these four workers were published in the February 1963 issue of Laing's monthly newsletter, Team Spirit. From left to right: G Otley, concreting ganger; J White, foreman joiner; P Enright, walking ganger; R Coxhead, carpenter/joiner._x000D_
Work on the Paternoster development was carried out in a joint venture by John Laing Construction Limited, Trollope and Colls Limited, and George Wimpey and Company Limited. The scheme involved the redevelopment of a seven acre site on the north side of St Paul's Cathedral. The site had been almost entirely devastated during an incendiary raid in December 1940. The development consisted of a series of office blocks, a shopping precinct, an extensive piazza and a three-level car park. The various blocks were named after former Bishops of London. The tallest block was 18-storeys in height and was called Sudbury House. The three 10-storey blocks were Courtenay, Walden and Grendall Houses, and the five-storey blocks were Laud, Sheldon and Bancroft Houses
Pick your License
10-storey 18-storeys Acre Bancroft Bishops Blocks Builder Carpenter Colls Concreting Consisted Courtenay Devastated Development X000d Employed Enright Entirely Extensive Five-storey Foreman Ganger Grendall Incendiary Involved Joiner Joint Laing Laings Laud Monthly Newsletter Otley Paternoster Paul S Piazza Precinct Redevelopment Scheme Sheldon Sudbury Tallest Three-level Trollope Venture Walden Wimpey Workmen X000d
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > EHR





























