Paternoster Square, City of London
Paternoster Square, City of London - Looking north-east across the Paternoster development during its construction, showing completed blocks and some under construction including Sudbury House_x000D_
_x000D_
Work on the Paternoster development was carried out in a joint venture by John Laing Construction Limited, Trollope and Colls Limited, and George Wimpey and Company Limited. The scheme involved the redevelopment of a seven acre site on the north side of St Paul's Cathedral. The site had been almost entirely devastated during an incendiary raid in December 1940. The development consisted of a series of office blocks, a shopping precinct, an extensive piazza and a three-level car park. The various blocks were named after former Bishops of London. The tallest block was 18-storeys in height and was called Sudbury House. The three 10-storey blocks were Courtenay, Walden and Grendall Houses, and the five-storey blocks were Laud, Sheldon and Bancroft Houses
Pick your License
10-storey 18-storeys Acre Bancroft Bishops Blocks Builder Colls Consisted Courtenay Devastated Entirely Extensive Five-storey Grendall Incendiary Involved Joint Laing Laud North-east Paternoster Paul S Piazza Precinct Redevelopment Scheme Sheldon Sudbury Tallest Three-level Trollope Venture Walden Wimpey X000d
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > EHR





























