Royal Institute Museum, Albion Street, Hull
An exterior view of the Royal Institute Museum, built in 1852 by Cuthbert Brodrick and destroyed by the Hull blitz - The museum was built by Cuthbert Brodrick (b.1821-d.1905) c 1852, with it opening in 1854. The Hull Literary and Philosophical Society was established in 1822 and resided at the museum. In c1941 the department store Thornton-Varley Ltd relocated to the Royal Institue as it's former home had been damaged in the blitz. However, the institute was later bombed, c1943. The front facade had a large Corinthian portico of five bays, and two projecting bays on either side, with fluted columns surrounding the ground floor windows, and capped with a pediment. Above was a balustraded parapet and a central rectangular plinth with a statue, most likely of Britannia, with a spear in her right hand, and two figures reclining under her feet
Pick your License
1822 1852 1854 Albion Balustraded Bays Bombed Brodrick C1941 C1943 Capped Corinthian Cuthbert Either Established Fluted However Hull Institue Likely Parapet Pediment Philosophical Plinth Portico Projecting Reclining Rectangular Relocated Resided Surrounding
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > EHR





























