A view of the Palm House in Kew Gardens
A view of the Palm House in Kew Gardens, seen in the distance from the east side of the pond and with a sculptural group in the centre of the pond in the foreground. The Palm House dates to 1844-1848 and was designed by Richard Turner, and the architect was Decimus Burton. It is iron and glass with a central chamber with a continuously curving glass roof, and two long wings that extend north and south, and reach a length of 362ft. In the centre of the pond in the foreground is a bronze group of sculptures, showing Hercules fighting a serpent, on a plinth that also acts as a fountain
Picture No
12548116
Media ID
45370195
Size
3000px x 2018px
(1.5MB)
Credit
© Historic England / Mary Evans Picture Library
Source
Ursula Clark - Historic England Archive
Date
circa 1970s





























