Wallwood Farmhouse resident - memorial in St. Mary's Church
Wallwood Farmhouse resident 1714 - newdigate Owsley memorial stone St. Mary's Church. There is a long written record of the Wallwood area, Essex (now Leytonstone London). By 1697 there is written evidence of a house on the site called Wallwood House, set in 40 acres of meadows and gardens, leased by the Crown, to Newdigate Owsley, a London merchant. There is commemorative stone to Newdigate Owsley in St Mary the Virgin Church in nearby Leyton. He died in 1714. Wallwood House was occupied at different time by the Owsley family for most of the 18th century. In around 1817 wealthy merchant, inventor, philanthropist and Governor of the Bank of England William Cotton FRS bought the house and land from the crown. William Cotton (1786-1866) was a wealthy merchant, inventor, philanthropist, and Governor of the Bank of England. Cotton's next door neighbour, in Leytonstone House, was the widow and children of Philip Sansom, a founding member the British Abolitionist movement. From the mid-19th century to around 2024 Wallwood Farmhouse was an undertakers and in 2025 it was used as a nightclub and restaurant. Its future is currently under threat from developers
Pick your License
1714 Farmhouse Leytonstone Newdigate Owsley Resident Wallwood
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > HVA





























