The Terris Theatre, Rotherhithe
Promotional postcard showing the Terriss Theatre, Rotherhithe,s E London. The Terriss Theatre was opened as a playhouse on 16th October 1899 with a production of the drama "The White Heather" which had played at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. It was named after actor William Terriss, who was murdered outside the stage door of the Adelphi Theatre on the Strand in 1897. William Terriss had proposed plans for the theatre prior to his death. The Tessiss Theatre was designed by noted theatre architect W.G.R. Sprague, and was built for the same operators as the Coronet Theatre. It was taken over by Walter Gibbons and Charles Gulliver and went over to variety theatre use re-opening as the Rotherhithe Hippodrome of Varieties from 1908. Projection facilities were installed (to the plans of noted theatre architect Frank Matcham) to allow films as part of the variety programme. In October 1930





























