Temple Bar from the Strand (c.1870)
Temple Bar from the Strand (c.1870) The Temple Bar is a gateway of Portland stone with until 1878 separated the Strand from Fleet Street, thus marking the boundary between the City of Westminster and the City of London. it is first recorded in 1301. The new gateway, designed by Sir Christpher Wren, was erected in 1670-2. It was removed in 1878-9 and re-erected in private grounds at Waltham Cross. It has now been re-erected in Paternoster Square next to St Paul's Cathedral, opening to the public in 2004
Picture No
10925602
Media ID
47503431
Size
3165px x 4000px
(4.3MB)
Credit
© Medici / Mary Evans
Usage Restrictions
Permission to reproduce in sizes up to 10 inches long
Source
Watercolour painting by G. Colville
Date
circa 1870





























