|Description||Explosion at Rhodes|
Scene of the explosion in Rhodes. On 2nd November 1856 there had been a huge earthquake at Rhodes which partially destroyed the town. Then on the 6th November, 12,000 pounds of gunpowder which had been placed by order of the Turkish government in the Church of St. John (because it was made of stone thus less likely to be affected by fire) was ignited by a thunderbolt or lightning during a storm, and blew up. The explosion destroyed the Palace of the Grand Master (the building seen here on the right) and 200 buildings.
|Source||Sketch in The Illustrated London News, 3rd January 1857, page 683|
|Credit||© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans|