Baptist Chapel, Hartlepool - damage from German coastal raid
The Baptist Chapel in Hartlepool (now situated in an area called The Headland and sometimes known as Old Hartlepool), located on the corner of Baptist Street and Regent Street (with the photographer standing on Prissick Street). The chapel was built in 1852 from stone quarried in The Headland and was demolished shortly after 1914 as it was deemed beyond repair, following the attack. A new chapel was built on the site which was named the Bombardment Memorial Church to remember those members of the church who died that day killed including the Sunday school secretary and seven of the children
Picture No
10220734
Media ID
45997642
Size
3989px x 4916px
(3.4MB)
Credit
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans
Source
Photograph by L.N.A and Alfieri in The Illustrated War News', 23 December 1914, part 20, page 7 & also in The Illustrated London News', 26 December 1914, page 868
Date
1914





























