Plaster decoration at the New Oxford Theatre
A workman seen high up in the roof of the New Oxford Theatre in the process of erecting plaster decoration from Messrs. White Allom for Charles B. Cochran. Originally known as the Oxford Music Hall, the theatre was located in London at the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road on the site of a former public house, the Boar and Castle, by Charles Morton, in 1861. In 1917 the music hall was converted into a legitimate theatre, and in 1921 it was renamed the New Oxford Theatre and refurbished by impresario Charles B. Cochran. In May 1926, just five and a half years after this picture, it closed and was demolished
Picture No
12917575
Media ID
46135960
Size
5891px x 3898px
(3.4MB)
Credit
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans
Source
Photograph in The Tatler', 29 December 1920, page 435
Date
1920




























