LCC-MFB Sydenham fire station, Crystal Palace
Built by the Metropolitan Board of Works (the forerunner of the London County Council) and opened in 1869, Sydenham fire station was located on Crystal Palace Parade in the shadow of the Crystal Palace. Originally built by Sir Joseph Paxton in London's Hyde Park for the 1851 Great Exhibition, the iron and glass Palace was relocated to Penge Common, Sydenham Hill and the area took on a new name --Crystal Palace. The Crystal Palace can be seen behind the fire station, together with a motorised fire engine at the side. The station was closed in 1915
Picture No
10536150
Media ID
46841345
Size
1924px x 1552px
(769KB)
Credit
©London Fire Brigade / Mary Evans Picture Library
Source
London Fire Brigade Archive
Date
1910









































