Progress of the Charing-Cross Railway Bridge 1863
Hungerford Bridge made of wrought iron, a suspension footbridge running from the South Bank to Hungerford Market on the north side of the Thames. In 1859 the original bridge was bought by the railway company extending the South Eastern Railway into the newly opened Charing Cross railway station. The railway company replaced the suspension bridge with a structure designed by Sir John Hawkshaw, which opened in 1864
Picture No
10209010
Media ID
47455206
Size
5791px x 3960px
(5.5MB)
Credit
© Illustrated London News Ltd/Mary Evans
Source
Engraving in The Illustrated London News', 21 February 1863, page 208
Date
1863





























