Weir W-2
Weir W-2, at RAF Hendon on 19 July 1951. G. and J. Weir of Cathcart in Glasgow were an established engineering company, founded in 1871, which built aircraft during the First World War. The company then became involved in rotorcraft, initially carrying out experiments on their own account and subsequently becoming the backers of the Cierva Autogiro Co. Ltd. The single-seat W-2 experimental autogyro was an improved W-1, and first flew during March 1934 from Abbotsinch. It was powered by a Weir O-92 Dryad II flat two-cylinder, horizontally-opposed, air-cooled engine, developed from the Dryad motorcycle engine produced by the William Douglas Ltd. of Bristol, UK. After Douglas closed its doors in late 1932, the engine designers C.G. Pullin and G.E. Walker joined the Weir firm in 1933
Pick your License
Abbotsinch Account Afoot Air-cooled Autogiro Autogyro Auxiliary Backers Becoming Cathcart Cierva Designers Developed Donated Dryad Enterprising Established Experimental Experiments Firm Fitted Flew Generously Hendon Improved Incorporated Initially Involved Joined Problems Pullin Reduce Required Rotor Rotorcraft Scotlands Shaft Single-seat Sole Spin Stability Subsequently Surfaces Survivor Two-cylinder Weir Weirs
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > PBU






























