C Ward. Quex Park Vad Hospital
C Ward, Quex Park VAD Hospital. This ward was located in the second gallery of the Powell-Cotton Museum. B Ward, in the first gallery, was through the archway on the left of the photograph. On the right, behind the beds is a covered large glass case which contained taxidermy mounts of a fight between a lion and a buffalo. This still survives at the Museum today (2015), in the same position. In the corner of the far wall is standing the foreleg (bones) of an African elephant. To the right of that the glass of a large diorama has been partly screened. In addition to the patients, the two staff members of the VAD are Jack Hedge, Hospital Masseur and Clara Buss.There were fifteen beds in this room. The photograph was one of a number commissioned by Major Powell-Cotton from AH Siminson, photographer of St Lawrence, Ramsgate. It bears his embossing stamp in the bottom right corner. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum
Pick your License
1866 Addition Archway Beds Birchington Bones Buffalo Clara Commandant Commissioned Contained Detachment Diorama Embossing Fifteen Foreleg Hedge Masseur Mounts Partly Patients Percy Quex Ramsgate Recuperation Rehabilitation Screened Survives Taxidermy Voluntary
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > POW





























