Patients in B Ward at Quex Park VAD Hospital
B Ward at Quex Park VAD Hospital was sited in Gallery 1 of the two museum galleries then existing. This room had been built as a pavilion in the garden of Quex House in 1896. The museum was extended into a second room alongside in the years before the First World War. Behind the beds can be seen the covering over the glass of the natural history diorama housed in this room. Other museum exhibits are on the wall and the case below them was also part of the museum fittings. This room accommodated 15 beds. The Quex Park VAD Hospital opened on 15 October 1914 and closed on 31 January 1919. The hospital was run by Kent/178, the Birchington Detachment. The Commandant was Hannah Powell-Cotton (1881-1964), wife of Major Percy HG Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) of Quex Park, founder of the Powell-Cotton Museum
Pick your License
1866 Accommodated Alongside Beds Birchington Commandant Detachment Diorama Exhibits Existing Extended Fittings Galleries Housed Percy Quex Recuperation Rehabilitation Sited Voluntary
Features In These Collections
> Contributors > POW









































