Exterior of the New School of Mines, University of Sydney
Portion of the exterior (side view) of the New School of Mines, University of Sydney by Henry King (1855-1923). Tannatt Edgeworth David (1858-1934) was appointed Professor of Geology at Sydney University in 1891, however on his arrival he found that the department was a one man operation, in a poorly equipped, weatherboard cottage which had previously housed the medical school. Edgeworth David persuaded the University Senate that new facilities were required to accommodate the expanding numbers of students taking geology classes. The New South Wales Government agreed in 1893 to establish a School of Mines on campus, the new building becoming ready for occupation in the Lent term of 1895 Black and white photograph
Picture No
14154590
Media ID
45799564
Size
3682px x 3101px
(1.4MB)
Credit
© The Geological Society / Mary Evans
Source
Geological Society of London. Archive reference: LDGSL/943/2-5 - Image reference: 25-12
Date
circa 1894-1895





















![Earliest geological map of Ireland [1814] Earliest geological map of Ireland [1814]](/sq/800/earliest-geological-map-ireland-1814-48658336.jpg.webp)



![Draft of the first geological map of Jersey [c.1828] Draft of the first geological map of Jersey [c.1828]](/sq/800/draft-first-geological-map-jersey-c1828-48658294.jpg.webp)
![First geological map of Jersey [c.1828] First geological map of Jersey [c.1828]](/sq/800/first-geological-map-jersey-c1828-48658274.jpg.webp)

![First Geological Map of Scotland [1808] First Geological Map of Scotland [1808]](/sq/800/first-geological-map-scotland-1808-48658245.jpg.webp)
